FREEDOM III Surf Boat Charters,
Surf Charters |
W Sumatra | Mentawai | Indonesia.
The Charter Boat
Freedom 3 is able to luxuriously accommodate up to 10 surfers in individual berths in 4 airconditioned cabins. Saloon and deck spaces are divided into four main areas: the aftdeck, the rear saloon, the day bar area, and the main forward saloon.
The aftdeck is a covered outdoor lounge area with seating for 10 guests around a large table. It's a great place to hang out in the day to watch the action from the shade and on breezy, balmy evenings it becomes the ideal outdoor dining patio.
As you step inside, you enter the aft-saloon area which includes the galley, another large table / seating area, and a plasma TV hooked up to a DVD entertainment system. This is a good place to have your chef whip up a quick snack while you catch a movie between surfs.
Further forward and up a short flight of stairs you will find the day bar area with wraparound windows offering a good view of the surf. Kick back and have a cold drink as you check the waves and chat with your buddies.
Finally, another short flight of stairs takes you down to the main forward saloon / lounge area where you will find another large plasma TV and state of the art surround sound home theater system. This will probably be your main after surf lounging and socializing area and comes with all the comforts you'd expect from a luxury lounge room
The ever popular Captain Lee Dowse will be your skipper and surf guide aboard Freedom 3. Captain Lee will be bringing with him over 6 years of experience taking people of all levels of surfing to the Mentawai Islands and North Sumatra. Other than being an expert surfer and nice guy to boot, Captain Lee speaks fluent Indonesian and is intimately in tune with local wind and swell conditions, guaranteeing you the best possible surf experience every time.
A trained Western chef will serve you gourmet meals encompassing the best of both Western and Asian dishes.
FREEDOM 3 Specifications:
• Type: Power Catamaran
• Construction: Fiberglass foam core
• Engines: 315hp Yanmar Diesel x 2
• Cruising Speed: 12 knots
• Climate Control: Central aircon units with ducted airflow and digital control panels in cabins
• Interior Layout: 6x single bunks / 2x double beds in 5 cabins, toilet/shower with hot and cold water, galley, saloon with sofa and table, bar counter
• Exterior Layout: Covered cockpit with sitting area and 2 tables, trampolines on foredeck, covered flybridge area with seating and table, outdoor shower x2 on aft deck with hot and cold water
• Power: 220V A/C delivered by Onan Marine generator and gelcell battery array. Electrical outlets located throughout the boat
• Electronics: Radar, depth sounder, moving map GPS, autopilot, VHF, SSB, satellite phone, etc
• Entertainment: CD/MP3 stereo with Ipod jack, 42" plasma TV with DVD home theatre in saloon (plenty of recent DVD titles to choose from), fishing gear (2 x trolling and 1 x spinning setup) with tackle, snorkling equipment
• Tender: 6 passenger rigid bottom inflatable with 15hp outboard motor
• Safety equipment (CE passed): Life jackets, life rings, life raft, flares, current and comprehensive medical kit
While the Mentawais produce some of the most consistent and amazing waves the planet offers, they can also claim to have quite a large variety of breaks. The countless islands scattered throughout this pristine tropical environment hold vast amounts of sheltered bays, coves and reefs that generate every type of wave imaginable, due in part to the refractive nature of swells which allows them to bend and wrap around any obstacle they encounter. The high profile spots such as Lances Right, Macaronis, Rags Right, E-Bay, Rifles and Thunders speak for themselves but there are just as many lesser known breaks ranging from fun walls to long peeling barrels.
The majority of the waves in the Mentawais are best suited for the intermediate to advanced surfers but there are several spots which are ideal for beginners, making the Mentawais a destination for anybody who loves to surf. Because the Mentawais sit near the equator they are less affected by the trade winds, so most of the time the winds will be light and variable with plenty of glassy days. Although a few land-based surfcamps have sprouted up in the last few years adjacent to some of the better known breaks, the best way to access so many waves spread out over such a large area is by charter boat. Crowds can be a factor at the top spots, and occasionally you might find yourself sharing a break with another boat. Boats do maintain respect for one another, but with a knowledgeable and experienced captain and such a diversity of breaks you will definitely stumble upon plenty of empty waves for you and your crew.
Best Time To Go
The Mentawais have without a doubt some of the best waves in the world. They also have excellent exposure to the south and southwest swells moving up from the southern Indian Ocean and this means a consistency factor that is unmatched. The main swell season normally begins in late April/May and continues through September/October, with the wave height jumping up a notch from June to September. During this time the waves will stay in the overhead to double overhead range with some occasionally bigger days. That being said, the Mentawais could easily be considered a year round destination, as even during what are considered the slower season months of November thru March/February there is still plenty of surf in the head high range thanks to a very active Indian Ocean that churns out low pressure systems on a regular basis.
- Hideaways: A top-to-bottom lefthander that will get very hollow on a low tide.
- Nokandui: One of the more difficult waves in the islands. This is a very fast and barreling lefthander that has plenty of critical sections and is not always makeable. Tends to shut down at the end but you’ll spend lots of time in the barrel before you get there.
- Rifles: A very long, fast and intense righthander and one of the standout waves in the Mentawais when it’s on. When it gets a few feet overhead it turns into a barreling machine and you’ll be racing to make the sections as you fly down the line.
- 4 Bobs: A more forgiving righthander that has a quick little barrel on the takeoff.
Zone: Nyang Nyang
- Pitstops: A fun righthander immediately adjacent to E-Bay that ends on a sandy beach. Nipussi: Just inside of Bankvaults, this is a fun and rippable righthander that stays fairly consistent. Breaks in deep water and finishes close to the beach.
- E-Bay: With a stunning backdrop this quick lefthander stands up on the takeoff and has a nice, fast barrel down the line. Not the longest wave but definitely a great option if the swell is on the rise.
- Bank Vaults: A thumping, shallow righthander that provides plenty of tube time.
- Lance’s Left: A consistently lefthander that peels down the point and offers plenty of carvable sections and sometimes a few barrels when it gets big.
- Lance’s Right: The famous righthander that starts barreling on the takeoff and doesn’t stop barreling until it reaches the channel. Can be fickle at times as it likes to have all the conditions in its favor before putting on a show. Larger swells can be tricky and the end bowl can be difficult to read at times so stay focused or you might pay your dues on the shallow reef.
- Telescopes: A sweet lefthander that wraps down the reef with long walls. Not too many sections to navigate and can get really solid on a big swell.
- Macaronis: The reigning wave in the Menta
- wais. This stellar lefthander has a powerful barrel on the take off and then a carvable wall for plenty of maneuvers. It is one of the more lined up waves in the islands and can get shallow while offering tube time along the way.
- Rags Right: A challenging and hollow righthander that will turn into a smoking wave if the conditions are right.
- Thunders: A consistent lefthander that likes a lot of size in the swell. The outside has a fast hollow tube before it eases up on the inside sectio
ASK US FOR PRICES
These prices include :
• 12 nights / 11 days of surfing in the Mentawai or, as pre-arranged, in North Sumatra (extended trips are available by request for some dates)
• Access to the planet's best waves with expert surf guide
• All transfers to and from Padang airport
• Harbor permits
• Use of tender for transfers to and from the surf
• Use of tender for fishing and exploratory trips ashore
• Use of fishing equipment
• Use of snorkeling equipment
• Three hearty meals per day
• Snacks throughout the day
• 10 cases of Bintang Beer
• Non-alcoholic refreshments
• Use of onboard entertainment systems including DVD video and stereo
These prices do not include:
• Airline tickets
• Fuel Surcharge (if applicable)
• Emergency Travel Insurance (compulsory for all guests, including med-evac coverage)
• Use of satellite phone (charged at applicable rates)
• Captain / Guide's photography service (please note that not all our captains offer this service)
• Tips for the crew. Tips typically start around US$50 and up. If you've had a really good time and the crew's been outstanding, let them know! Please give all tips to the captain for dispersal to the crew.
The Mentawais are without question one of the best locations on the planet for catching a ridiculous amount of quality waves. In a stunning, tropical location that is at the heart of what we’ve always dreamed, these islands have all the necessary ingredients that create some of the most perfect waves in the world, the ideal playground for surfers. With excellent exposure to the southern Indian Ocean, the Mentawais offer some of the most consistent surf in the world, welcoming every ounce of swell to unload upon the reefs that protect these beautiful islands. And there is an endless list to describe these waves: flawless, perfect, clean, powerful, world class --take your pick. Toss in the clear, warm water and the wild beautiful scenery and there is only one conclusion: the Mentawais really do have it all.
The Mentawais are a chain of lush, tropical islands lying about 100 miles off the west coast of Sumatra in the Indian Ocean. They are considered part of the Sumatera Province, of which Padang is the capital, and are separated from Sumatra, Indonesia’s largest and northern most island, by the Mentawai Strait. There are approximately seventy islands, consisting of four major islands and many numerous smaller islands and islets that spread out in a northwest-southeast direction for nearly 200 miles. Siberut is the largest and northern most of these islands and lies just across the Strait from Padang, the launching point for all charter boats heading to this surfing paradise.
The Mentawais are basically sitting on the equator and therefore stay hot and humid all year round with very little change in temperature. Temperatures range between 72°- 90° F (22°- 32°C). The water temperature is a steady 80°F(27°C).The Mentawais have a dry season which runs from February to October and a wet season from November to January. This being the tropics rain does occur during the dry season as occasional squalls and storm showers make their way thru this region
The port city of Padang is launching point for Mentawai surf charters and boat transfers to the resorts.
Padang Airport (PDG)
Daily flights to Jakarta, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (Garuda Airlines)
30-Day visitor visa issued on arrival (EU, US, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand citizens).
Malaria treatment required.
Getting to the Mentawai is quite a journey for most people. Some of you will be traveling half way around the world to get here. After a long flight from home, you will arrive in Padang, Indonesia, most likely via Singapore or Jakarta, and will be greeted at the airport by one of the Freedom team.
After introductions and a quick briefing, you and your gear will be transported to a comfortable location to have some refreshments and unwind from your long trip while the boat is prepared for your arrival.
Other destinations in Indonesia
BALI KITESURF Camp - balikitesurf
LEGIAN Surf Hotel - Denpasar
G-LAND Surfcamp, Surf Spot & Accommodation - Java
NOMAD KERAMAS SURF RESORT - keramas
KUTA Surfcamp - kuta
PLAYGROUNDS Surf Resort - Mentawai
MACARONIS Surf Resort - Mentawai
TELESCOPES Surf & Spa Resort - Mentawai
KING I Surf Boat Charters - Mentawai Islands
SANSSOUCI Surf Boat Charters - Mentawai Islands
FREEDOM II Surf Boat Charters - Mentawai Islands
PINISI SCHOONER Surf Charter - Nusa Tenggara
Bali Surf Charters - Lembongan, Lombok & Sumbawa - Nusa Tenggara
PADANG PADANG Surf Camp - Padang Padang
NOMAD TROPICAL SURF RESORT - SUMBAWA - Sumbawa
Please add your comments or Contact us Here
25 Sep 2008, 06:31
14 Sep 2008, 12:24
Thanks a lot and have a great day!
Leave a Comment